Central Europe Review's extensive list of regional and country-specific search engines and other resources:
- CIA Factbook - annual series, the latest one is on-line and provides all the basic information.
- Country Studies - part of the Library of Congress series. A good resource for statistics.
- In Your Pocket - publishes a series of extremely useful guide books covering some of the less well-trodden areas of the region (I dare someone to find another comprehensive guide on Kaliningrad). These can be viewed in full, as well as ordered, online.
- Orientation Central and Eastern Europe - regional search engine
- Public Relations Center - collects and distributes information about issues of freedom of conscience in the countries of the former Soviet Union
- REESWeb - extensive links list from the University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Regional links - lists of links from the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in London
- Sam Vaknin's List - an announcement list through which subscribers receive daily articles and essays on Central, Eastern and South-eastern Europe from hundreds of carefully selected sources. A companion to Sam Vaknin's new book After the Rain - How the West Lost the East.
- Search Europe - European search engine for East and West
- The Slavic Research Center - from Hokkaido University in Japan, extensive English-language information about all Central European countries, including the Balkans and Baltics. Great first stop.
- SLAVOPHILIA - this site of links and searches is currently the USA's most frequently visited site covering Russia and Central and Eastern Europe
- WWW Virtual Library - International Affairs Resources now with over 1400 annotated links in all areas of international affairs, including Eastern Europe
- CIESIN Baltics Regional Node - information about the Baltic countries and links to other sites
- Estonian government - links to several Estonian government ministries as well as sights dealing with travel and education in Estonia.
- Latvian Webserver - introduction to the region, tourism information and facts about Latvia. Info on Latvian business, sites, government, art and culture, and more.
- Guide to Latvia - comprehensive fact site
- Lithuania-On-Line - the premiere search index of Lithuanian Internet resources
- Lituanica - Lithuania web directory in English and Lithuanian
- Mel Huang's Baltic Internet Review
|S U G G E S T A L I N K|
- City Guide to Prague - good for travel links and other practical information
- Comprehensive Czech links site - great for students and teachers, organized by Jeff Holdeman at Ohio State University
- Jan Lipsansky's Czech Internet Review
- National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library - based in Iowa, the museum's site offers a plethora of useful links
- Seznam - main search engine for the Czech Republic, in Czech
- Hungarian Information Resources - useful resources in both Hungarian and English
- Hungarian News, Culture and Related Links - in English.
- Official Website of Poland - search engine and informative website, in English
- Reporter - provides brief news summaries but links to all the major Polish search engines as well as searchable lists of all Polish dailies, weeklies, monthlies and quarterlies
- Wirtualna Polska - A Polish search engine - in Polish alas - offering free WWW pages and e-mail
- The Romanian Government Room - home page of the government of Romania, also in English
- Romainian Voice - a good depature point for all things Romanian. The site boasts Romanian humour, music, images and poems.
- Links to Romania - this Website has a very large collection of links that includes links to government, music, travel and business.
- Bosnian Croat Press - official weekly of the government of the Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosna (Bosnian Croat statelet in Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- SLOVAKIA.ORG - a great resource for information and links related to Slovakia
- Slovensko.Com - this government site carries a variety of information including poll results
Germany and Austria:
- Austria: A Country Study - thorough fact site for Austria.
- Austrian Press and Information Service - a site run out of Washington containing many useful links to all things Austrian: government, media, culture and tourism.
- Die Deutschekulturseite - information and links on Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Lichtenstein